Sunday, November 13, 2011

Home is where the Heart Is

Yesterday, when I came home for Veteran's Day Weekend, I was suddenly struck with nostalgia. As I entered through the doors to my house, I smelt familiar smells, heard familiar voices, and drank in the feeling of being home. It was the greatest I've felt since... well, a long time. 

Being at school doesn't allow me to relax. I'm always out and about on campus, running errands, working, eating, studying, and doing homework. I barely have time for myself and when I do relax, I don't feel like I'm really relaxed. I still feel overwhelmed by all the things I have to do, my mind is in a jumble, and then the "relaxing" is replaced with worrying, anxiety, and then restlessness and agitation. 

But that all changes when I come home. 

When I saw my parents, I realized that I missed them more than I thought I did. It's funny that when you're at college or just away for awhile, you think you won't miss your parents, but then when you see them, you get transformed back to a little kid. You want them to dote on you, spend time with you, and talk with you about anything. You want your mother to cook your favorite foods for you and your father to tell you about his hobbies or what he's been up to lately. You realize that you want to be closer to them and to understand them better as a more mature individual, rather than create distance between you and them like in high school or just growing up. 

Seeing my fluffy, white Persian kitty also makes me ridiculously happy. :) 

My fluffy white Kitty! And her name is Kitty, no joke. ;)
Coming home is always the best feeling, being surrounded by good family and good food. The beds here are softer and more comfortable, the rooms more spacious and even the air is a little better here. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and you just get away from all the things you've been worrying about. 

Interestingly enough, I find that I'm more awake, concentrated, and less drowsy when I'm at home rather than at my apartment. I think that just goes further to prove that home, at least for me, has this mysterious power to make everything in my life seem less overwhelming and just... better. Home will always hold a special place in my heart.  

On that note, I'm super excited that Thanksgiving is coming up soon so I'll only have to wait a week or so before I come home again and see my family! Just thinking of all the delicious food that is going to be in my belly is making my mouth water! 

Tomorrow it's back to Berkeley, but after spending some time at home, my battery is recharged, my mind is less confused, my body less fatigued, my outlook more positive and I'm ready to face the week to come. 

Who knew that coming home could be just what I needed?  

1 comment:

  1. aww! kristen! i miss home too. can't wait till thanksgiving. you really are good at writing by the way! ur too awesome gurl :)

    ReplyDelete